Sunday 12 August 2012

Indian Sweets


I'm not sure if I already shared this before but when we were still in Manila, we frequented Assad, a small Indian mini mart that sells a variety of goods.  They sell Indian rice, a whole lot of spices and they also sell fresh breads like roti and naan! We love their vegetarian samosas with chutney. And another thing that I liked there was their sweets.  As you know, I'm a sucker for sweets. Too bad, they only sell it by weight and minimum is 500 grams. I thought we'd have a hard time finishing the half kilo sweets but it took us less than a week to eat them! :D

So when we were strolling the streets of Serangoon (again) last Saturday, we passed by Komala Vilas' Sweet and Savories shop. I was so happy, I was like jumping for joy! The husband told me to go in and pick what I want. While the shop keeper was answering my questions patiently, in my mind, I was really panicking what to choose. :D Sorry, I wasn't able to take photos of everything in the shop. I was only able to photograph them myself after I have calmed down at home. Hee hee


The first one I tried was the Badhusha.  It was soft and flaky, almost like a donut but with more subtle sweetness. The husband and I shared it, finishing it quickly :D

Badhusha and Asmir cake
The husband liked the Asmir cake, a chocolate flavored milk variety but looked like a brownie. It was crumbly and tasted too sweet for my liking. My favorite was the Pistachio Burfi.  It tasted like the Philippine sweet treat pastillas. It was not too sweet and filled with yummy pistachio nuts. The Milk Beada/Peda is very similar to the Burfi. My little girl loved it and gobbled it the second she tried it.  Lastly, the Ladhoo wasn't really as good as the one we have tried from Yantra.  But the husband still ate it, anyhow. :P
Asmir Cake S$1.40, Ladhoo South S$1.00, Badhusha S$1.00, Pistachio Burfi S$1.00, Milk Beada S$1.00
Overall, it was a sweet treat for all of us.  I will surely be back to try other goodies from Komala Vilas! :)


Komala Vilas Sweets and Savouries
82 Serangoon Road
Singapore 217985
Tel: 62943294

8 comments:

  1. I haven't tried Indian delicacies (I haven't seen any in Manila), but the way you describe it is mouth watering and worth trying. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ethelyn, thanks for dropping by. Madami sa Assad sa may UN :) pero per kilo sa kanila, not per piece. i think they have Gulab Jamun and these milky sweets, too.

      Delete
  2. I'm not much into Indian food but I like tandoori and birhani.:-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i like Indian food too.. my favorite Roghan Josh.. but the sweets looks really yummmy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's my first time to hear about Rogan Josh :) my favorite is tandoori and naan!

      Delete
  4. I think I'd be delighted and happy to try this like you did. Anything new and sweet gives me the adventure to try it :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've tried that delicious burfi ! It's made of condensed milk so it's really delicious !

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't know anything about Indian sweets, but I'd love to try them soon.. ^^ I'm sure it'll be pretty interesting especially since my taste buds aren't used to distinct Indian flavors, but I hope I'll like them as well.. :)

    ReplyDelete