Friday 10 August 2012

Dulce de Leche Bars


This is an old experiment that I did. I don't know why I haven't posted this. I'm only posting about the cake because the topping was actually a failed one :D It's supposed to be a peanut butter buttercream but it didn't turn out perfectly as I've thought it would be! Boohoo.  But fret not, the cake was just awesome as it was even without the topping.

And if you think I chucked out the topping -- no, I didn't.  I recycle it by making it a topping for my tart. :)

Ingredients:

  • 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1 1/4 cup dulce de leche
  • 1 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • nonstick vegetable oil spray (optional)

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 180° Celsius. Coat bottom and sides of and 8″ x 8″ baking pan with nonstick spray or just brush with oil and set aside.

2. Whisk the flour, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl and set aside.

3. Beat the oil and sugar in a large bowl. Beat in the dulce de leche. Gradually beat in the dry ingredients. Scrape into the prepared pan and smooth the top.

4. Bake until a tester comes out clean when inserted into center, approximately 35 minutes. Allow cake to cool for at least 10 minutes before un-molding.



Once cake has cooled, unmold and frost liberally. Cut and serve or store in a covered container for up to a week.









13 comments:

  1. Mmmmmm I love the ooey gooey look of that bars ! Yup , no chucking for me as well ! lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks yummy indeed! :D I got to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wanted to try this one out. Looks good!
    Commenting from BC Bloggers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. looks yummy. i hope i have my own kitchen and do simple dishes and desserts like this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks chewy and yummy! I'll show this recipe to my sister!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my gush.... this is deli... I will try to make this one here. Thanks for sharing sis...

    ReplyDelete
  7. looks yummy. where can one find dulce de leche?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure if there are dulce de leche being sold in supermarkets. I make my own. Just boil a can of condensed milk (unopened) for about 2 hrs. Make sure that the water level is at least an inch above the can. :)

      Delete
  8. Yummy!!! I'll try to do this as soon as my oven gets fixed, haha! Thanks for sharing your recipe Sis! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. waaah! will try to find time to make this one! BTW ^^. I would love you to visit my blog “ miss JHENZ “http://ow.ly/cUC9T Have a great week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'll try this soon! I love all kinds of dulce de leche :D

    ReplyDelete